The CMPLX.org intends to be a community and network of curious people that share knowledge and information through an interactive platform. We aim to collect and share relevant and insightful documentary films, lectures, books, podcasts and the like and give it a dynamic order of some sort. Feel free to subscribe to this website or contact us for more information at firstname.lastname@example.org.
In: Physics, Science
The Higgs Boson is a theoretical particle which has been deduced as a result of the Standard Model of particle physics. It has been nicknamed 'The God Particle' as it is considered to be central to our understanding of the nature of matter. Check out this introductory talk (3:26 min.) about the Higg's field and boson from Fermilab: [jwplayer mediaid="66560"] The Higgs boson is often referred to as the View...
In: Cosmology, Physics, Psychology
This is a low-budget Internet documentary made by Shawna Halevy, in association with the (Lyndon) LaRouche Youth Movement. The core of the video is a pedagogical workshop on the Theory of Special Relativity as part of the educational process conducted by the LaRouche youth leadership. Not for the sake of understanding the theory itself, but using Einstein’s particular discovery as a case study to demonstrate and walk View...
In: Energy & Environment
If it were up to the sun, we would have no energy problem. Every half hour on the Earth’s surface, there is more than enough light to provide energy needs for the whole world in a year. We don’t have an energy problem, we have a conversion problem. If we are able to harvest sunlight in smart way, then we can prevent a global energy View...
In: Energy & Environment, Sustainable building
e² is a critically acclaimed, multipart PBS series about the innovators and pioneers who envision a better quality of life on earth: socially, culturally, economically and ecologically. The series explores attainable solutions to pressing environmental and social challenges, and its stories are culled from a variety of fields including design, energy, transport, water, food and urban development. Episodes have profiled Nobel Peace Prize-winner Muhammad Yunus’s efforts View...
In: Energy & Environment, Finance & Economics
Professor Al Bartlett begins his one-hour talk with the statement, "The greatest shortcoming of the human race is our inability to understand the exponential function." He proceeds to examine oddly reassuring statements from "experts", the media and political leaders - statements that are dramatically inconsistent with the facts. He discusses the widespread worship of economic growth and population growth in western society. Professor Bartlett explains "sustainability" View...
- What’s Blocking Gender Equality? 10/20/2016Empowering women is morally right and economically smart, with several recent studies confirming the high costs of persistent and significant gender gaps. But, despite these findings, four key factors are still impeding gender equality in all forms of work.
- Protectionist Creeps 10/20/2016Prospects for global trade growth in 2016 and 2017 have been downgraded yet again, with the World Trade Organization estimating that, this year, trade will increase at its slowest pace since the post-2008 global recession. What is going on?
- A Progressive Political Alliance for Europe 10/20/2016If moderate forces in France and Germany fail to join together to create what the US historian Arthur Schlesinger, Jr., called the “vital center,” the assault on economic openness and liberal democracy will gain traction. In this sense, the French and German elections will turn 2017 into be a make-or-break year for the EU.
- Beyond the Paris Climate Agreement 10/20/2016If the world is to have any chance of meeting its climate targets, strong action must be taken now to reduce emissions drastically – action that goes beyond the Paris climate agreement. What is needed is a fundamental transformation of how business does business.
- Why Can’t We End Polio? 10/20/2016October 24 should be the last annual World Polio Day before the disease is eradicated, but now is not the time for celebration or complacency. Technically, eradication is within reach, but political obstacles continue to stand in the way.
- A National Security Blind Spot 10/19/2016Many foreign policymakers in the US and around the world still don’t seem able to grasp that examining the behavior of women and men alike can improve their analysis and their proposed measures. Indeed, it's an oversight that can weaken their countries' national security.