The CMPLX.org intends to be a community and network of curious people that share knowledge and information through an interactive platform. We aim to collect and share relevant and insightful documentary films, lectures, books, podcasts and the like and give it a dynamic order of some sort. Feel free to subscribe to this website or contact us for more information at firstname.lastname@example.org.
In: Physics, Science
The Higgs Boson is a theoretical particle which has been deduced as a result of the Standard Model of particle physics. It has been nicknamed 'The God Particle' as it is considered to be central to our understanding of the nature of matter. Check out this introductory talk (3:26 min.) about the Higg's field and boson from Fermilab: [jwplayer mediaid="66560"] The Higgs boson is often referred to as the View...
In: Cosmology, Physics, Psychology
This is a low-budget Internet documentary made by Shawna Halevy, in association with the (Lyndon) LaRouche Youth Movement. The core of the video is a pedagogical workshop on the Theory of Special Relativity as part of the educational process conducted by the LaRouche youth leadership. Not for the sake of understanding the theory itself, but using Einstein’s particular discovery as a case study to demonstrate and walk View...
In: Energy & Environment
If it were up to the sun, we would have no energy problem. Every half hour on the Earth’s surface, there is more than enough light to provide energy needs for the whole world in a year. We don’t have an energy problem, we have a conversion problem. If we are able to harvest sunlight in smart way, then we can prevent a global energy View...
In: Energy & Environment, Sustainable building
e² is a critically acclaimed, multipart PBS series about the innovators and pioneers who envision a better quality of life on earth: socially, culturally, economically and ecologically. The series explores attainable solutions to pressing environmental and social challenges, and its stories are culled from a variety of fields including design, energy, transport, water, food and urban development. Episodes have profiled Nobel Peace Prize-winner Muhammad Yunus’s efforts View...
In: Energy & Environment, Finance & Economics
Professor Al Bartlett begins his one-hour talk with the statement, "The greatest shortcoming of the human race is our inability to understand the exponential function." He proceeds to examine oddly reassuring statements from "experts", the media and political leaders - statements that are dramatically inconsistent with the facts. He discusses the widespread worship of economic growth and population growth in western society. Professor Bartlett explains "sustainability" View...
- The Many Benefits of Vitamin D 04/27/2017Vitamin D deficiencies are widespread, affecting around one billion people of all age groups and ethnicities, even in countries with year-round sunshine. This matters because the health benefits of adequate vitamin D intake may be even greater than previously thought.
- A Grand Strategy for Donald Trump? 04/27/2017Accommodating aggressive behavior by "defectors" from international cooperation like North Korea will never bring peace, but establishing cooperation as the only viable option might. If the Trump administration follows such an approach, it could have the makings of an effective strategic doctrine.
- A Better Way from ‘R’ to ‘D’ 04/27/2017When people talk about nurturing innovation, they typically focus on government funding for basic research, expanding access to higher education, building tech hubs and incubators, and so on. But a crucial element of innovation is often absent from these discussions: the final product.
- Russia’s Neo-Feudal Capitalism 04/27/2017Vladimir Putin's model of crony capitalism seems to be a deliberate effort to emulate the success of Russia’s old feudal system – a system that, after all, lasted for centuries. But in today’s world, such a system not only seems outdated; it also poses a genuine threat to social and political stability.
- A World Turned Inside Out 04/26/2017Slowly but surely, a bruised and battered global economy now appears to be shaking off its deep post-2008 malaise. But this hardly means that the world is returning to normal; on the contrary, the global growth dynamic has undergone an extraordinary transformation during the last nine years.
- Fixing Fixed-Investment Incentives 04/26/2017No one can say for sure why business investment has not increased in recent years, even during periods of buoyant economic growth. But, contrary to the conventional wisdom, one can be sure that business leaders' collective fear of economic uncertainty is not the prime culprit.